Saturday, February 11, 2017

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Been back in the Spring for a week now, finally settling in. The weather has truly spoiled me with the ability to wear just a jersey and bibs. Earlier in the week we had a power test that I royally messed up. I had some sort of costal pain that was making breathing hard and the altitude was really rocking me. The power I put out was truly pathetic. I was actually pretty bummed by it but I just had to remind myself that I am no where near being acclimated and I had other discomfort that hindered my ability to produce sufficient power. Been training consistently here and the past two days I felt the power returning to my legs and the air starting to fill my lungs. The power is still not where I would expect it to be at sea level but I know with due time it will be back to where I need it to be for racing. Today's workout our gym trainer Anthony joined us. Solid guy to ride with and super easy to get along with. He knows his stuff and I really look forward to working with him more. He really has highlighted how inflexible I am and it's something that I really wanna work on. It seems like something so trivial but I am slightly embarrassed how tight I am and how I have neglected that portion of my performance and now really really want to improve it.

I am slowly starting to branch out of my comfort zone. I still don't really know anyone here outside of the people in the cycling program. I am starting to talk to other athletes but it will be a process. I think I need to become comfortable with the fact that this is my home and that it is everyone else's home too. I've been making baby steps at socializing. Thursday night I went to resident movie night with Ryan Boyle. He is another cyclist here and probably one of the most entertaining guys to hang out with. He is a legit guy who I enjoyed spending time with. Then Friday night I had some visitors from MN that Ryan and I got diner with. After dinner a handful of the residents here went over to Finishline which is a bar across the street. I had no interest in drinking but I did feel like it would behoove me to go be social with these people I am not too familiar with yet. Called it an early night just to make sure I was getting enough sleep. It was an interesting time, never been to a bar before and that place was interesting. The people watching was phenomenal and the atmosphere was loud. Not really my kind of place but it was good for me to see what else is outside of the OTC.

The weather tomorrow is only supposed to be a high of 40 degrees. It has me a little bummed but then again if I still lived in MN I would be chomping at the bit for that kinda temps in February.




No comments:

Post a Comment